About the New Mexico Horse Breeders Association
LETTER FROM PRESIDENT CADOTTE
Tuesday, March 1, 2013
Here we are at the beginning of another year, and I hope it is a good one for each one of you.
I want to start by congratulating all of the award winners from last year and thank Larry Teague for his many years of service to our association. I also want to welcome our new Thoroughbred trustee, William T. Walker, to the board.
At this year's annual meeting, we had a tremendous panel discussion with all the racetracks, except for Ruidoso, concerning split meets, etc. I would like to thank all of the tracks for their participation. In addition to the panel discussion, we had our first vendor booth, hosted by Kenny Mosher from Golden Tiger USA.
An interesting side item is that we met Kenny and his daughter at the 2012 Youth Day at The Downs at Albuquerque, and he became an active participant in our legislative day at the Capitol. Our board of trustees will be discussing in the future if we would like to have additional vendors and possible breakout sessions on breeding, feeding, etc., in order to encourage more participation. Your comments on this matter would be encouraged.
If you are not aware, there are numerous bills being introduced that have an impact on the racing industry. To this date, the board of trustees voted to support SB 265, which is the racetrack bill that provides them with a tax incentive for each day of live racing. We have voted to not support SB 444, which has to do with making the penalties statutory; we also oppose SB 23, which would change the makeup of the New Mexico Racing Commission as the chair of the state Gaming Control Board to serve as an ex-officio of the Racing Commission.
We are in favor of the bills that have to do with funding for testing and medication rules that resemble ARCI. We will keep you posted on the website as to the outcome of these bills.
At our next meeting, we will begin planning our annual Zia Festival party for July 27 in Ruidoso, so please keep that date open.
I am looking forward to serving as your president again this year. Please feel free to contact me at any time.
Q. Mike Cadotte
LETTER FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The annual meeting was held January 24, 2013, at the Marriott Hotel in Albuquerque. Mark your calendar for Thursday, January 23, 2014, in Albuquerque for the next annual meeting and banquet.
Before the 2012 audit completion, it shows revenues of $444,050, with a gain on the sale of the 1020 Texas property of $236,580 which is $240,082 greater than 2011. Excess of revenue over expenses was $157,480. Membership decreased by 6%. Registrations overall increased 6%. New Mexico-bred foals increased 12% due to the fees increasing on January 1, 2013. New stallion registrations decreased 23%. Affidavits continue to be mailed confirming the accuracy of the information stated on the New Mexico-bred applications. There were 288 days of racing in 2012, which is one day less than in 2011.
The association had a presence at the Democratic Legislative Dinner and the Lincoln Day Dinner in 2012.
In December 2012, a joint meeting of the New Mexico Horsemen's Association state board and the New Mexico Horse Breeders' Association's board of trustees was held at Sunland Park. Hopefully we can continue doing this in 2013.
The officers for 2013 are president Q. Mike Cadotte, 1st vice president Tom Goncharoff and 2nd vice president Mac Murray. I would like to welcome William T. Walker as the new Thoroughbred trustee.
A special thanks goes to Susan Hunter of Hunter Creek Farms in Roswell for arranging the DVD showcasing the Equine Encore Foundation.
I hope everyone is enjoying the legislative issue of our magazine and the 2013 calendars.
I would like to thank Harold Payne for his dedication to the racing industry and his support of our New Mexico-breds at Sunland Park.
Anna Fay Davis
NMHBA Executive Director
2013 Board of Trustees: From left: Mike Cadotte, Ralph Vincent, Rita J. Danley, Mark Wise, Norma Alvarez, Kay Thurman, William Tandy Walker, Tom Goncharoff, Jay Taylor, James T. Lewter, and Mac Murray. Not pictured - Denny Crozier
2013 New Mexico Horse Breeders' Association Board of Directors
- President - Q. Mike Cadotte (TB), Peralta
- 1st Vice President - Tom Goncharoff (TB), Tularosa
- 2nd Vice President - Mac Murray (QH), Veguita
2013 New Mexico Horse Breeders' Association Board Members
- Norma Alvarez (QH) - La Union
- Denton Crozer (QH) - Hobbs
- Rita J. Danley (QH) - Anthony
- James T. Lewter (QH) - Clovis
- Jay L. Taylor (TB) - Albuquerque
- Kay M. Thurman (TB) - Belen
- Ralph W. Vincent (QH) - Albuquerque
- William Tandy Walker (TB) - Bosque
- Mark Wise (TB) - Las Cruces
- Executive Director -Anna Fay Davis
- Registrar - Mary M. Barber
- Administrative Assistant - Amber Martin