New Mexico Breeders' Information and Forms
The following is a list of important facts concerning registration that all breeders need to know, including a list of forms. To access the forms, click on the form that you need (this will open a new window). All forms (except the Stallion Ownership Transfer) are two pages so be sure to print and fill out both pages, or you may fill it out online and then print mail it along with all applicable fees to:
The New Mexico Horse Breeders AssociationPDF forms require Adobe Reader 7.0 or 8.0. Don't have it? Get your free version here!
PO Box 36869 Albuquerque, NM 87176
For any registration with the New Mexico Horse Breeders Association, your annual membership dues must be paid before registry. Annual Membership dues are payable January 1st each year.
Individual membership dues: $80
Two or more persons: $110
Farm or Syndicate: $110
STALLION REGISTRATION FORM
The stallion must be registered in the Association's Stallion registry before time of breeding. (Late stallion registry requires a penalty on each foal.) It is imperative that Stallion Owners return the stallion Update cards sent out in early March in order to keep the stallion active in the registry.
- Stallions must be registered with the New Mexico Horse Breeders' Association before covering any mares in order for the resulting foals to be registered New Mexico Bred without penalty.
- The penalty for each foal conceived prior to the registration of the stallion is $1,000.00
- Current membership is required in order to register any horses.
- ALL COMMERCIAL STALLIONS MUST BE EVA TESTED AND VACCINATED BEFORE THE BREEDING SEASON.
- STALLIONS WHO HAVE BEEN VACCINATED NEED TO HAVE A BOOSTER SHOT EVERY YEAR BEFORE THE NEXT BREEDING SEASON. FORMS WILL BE MAILED OUT FOR THE VETERINARIANS TO FILL OUT AND SIGN.
- A photo static copy of the registration papers is required when registering a stallion or broodmares.
Registration fee: $400
STALLION OWNERSHIP TRANSFER FORM
Registration fee: $50
BROODMARE REGISTRATION FORM
The mare must be registered in the Association's Broodmare registry no later than September 1st of the year that the dam is bred in order for their foals to be registered without penalty. (Penalty payments will apply for in-foal registrations after that date.) A registered New Mexico bred filly does NOT automatically go into the broodmare registry. Once a Broodmare is put into the registry she is registered for life. Under our Association's definition, the Owner of a Broodmare, when the foal is born, is the Breeder.
The broodmares must remain in the state of New Mexico for her entire pregnancy and foaling.
Registration fee: $100
BROODMARES IN FOAL REQUEST TO LEAVE STATE OF NEW MEXICO FORM
If a dam is consigned to a horse sale located outside New Mexico and is in foal to a registered New Mexico Bred Stallion, a written request for permission to leave the state temporarily is required
. The New Mexico Horse Breeder's Association must be notified of the sale results.
The mare must be transported directly back to New Mexico from the sale and must remain in New Mexico until the foal is born in order for the foal to be eligible to be accredited New Mexico Bred. Consignors may want to submit an enclosure to the purchaser explaining the procedures set forth by the New Mexico Horse Breeder's Association.
NEW MEXICO BRED REGISTRATION FORM
In order for a foal to be eligible to be registered New Mexico Bred:
- The foal's sire was in the Stallion registry before time of breeding and is standing in New Mexico.
- The foal's dam was registered in the Broodmare registry no later than September 1st of the year the dam was bred.
- The foal's dam remained in the State of New Mexico during pregnancy and foaling unless prior written approval for the Mare to leave the state temporarily was obtained from the Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees, at any time, can demand that the Owner of the mare in question submit to the Board sufficient proof that the horse remained in the State of New Mexico during pregnancy and foaling. TRUSTEE APPROVAL IS NOT REQUIRED FOR EMERGENCY VETERINARIAN CARE.
Registration as a New Mexico bred is not complete until our office has received the original foal certificate papers, with the foal's official name, for final approval and stamping.
Your foal is not eligible to enter a New Mexico bred race until its papers have been stamped by this office.
It is important that you have your foals registered and the paper stamped ahead of time.To maintain registration accuracy, all papers will be stamped at our office.
We now have two applications for New Mexico Bred Registration. Form #100A is for Embryo Transfers Only! Please use form #100 for all other New Mexico Breds.
The registration fees are:
2 Year-Olds: $1,000